Brought to you by Tamarack Resort & Scott Sports
“The great thing about skiing that I really enjoy is just the fact that you’re in control of everything that’s happening. It’s like you can turn your brain off and start making turns down the mountain; you just don’t think it’s all reaction. I’m 51 years old now and I still feel like a little kid when I’m on the slopes.”
“Downhill ski racing sure is fun. I mean, it’s like being your own race car, but there’s no frame around you to save you. It’s just aerodynamics, skis, a skin-tight suit – zip it up, pull up your tidy whities and go for it.”
– Tommy Moe
My guest today is Tommy Moe.
- Tommy made the US Ski Team at 16 years old
- He started competing in the World Cup at 20
- Tommy was the first American male ski racer to win two medals at one Olympics – one gold and one silver, both at the Lillehammer Norway Winter Olympics in 1994
- He wore a Cowboy Hat at the Gold Medal Ceremony.
- He went to three Olympics – 1992 in France, 1994 in Norway, and 1998 in Japan.
- Tommy was on the cover of Sports Illustrated in 1994
- He was a five-time national champion
- Tommy podiumed seven times on the World Cup & skied in three world championships.
- He was on the World Cup for nine years and on the US Ski Team for 12 years
- After his impressive ski racing career, Tommy co-founded a world-class Alaska heli-ski company named Tordrillo Mountain Lodge in a roadless, remote zone in Alaska
- Tommy is a lead heli-ski guide, and his company hosts some of the best skiers and riders in the world, including Travis Rice & Cody Townsend
- Tommy was elected to the US National Ski Hall of Fame in 2003
This episode is brought to you by Scott Sports:
Technology, innovation, and design are the name of the game, and that’s exactly what SCOTT Sports is; It’s in their DNA. Skiing is about testing yourself – seeing the possibilities you are presented with and pushing yourself to seize the greatest challenges. SCOTT Sports has the gear to help you do just that. To learn more, check out scottsports.com and see what real innovation looks like.
Skip the lift lines this year and get in the backcountry! With all the new SCOTT winter essentials, you’re set to have a safe and fun time in the mountains. Check out their new product line at scottsports.com.
Looking to test the boundaries but fearful of high-risk situations? SCOTT Sports knows the danger, that’s why they’ve developed the Patrol E1 Avalanche Backpack. It’s the ultimate freeskiing avalanche backpack, pushing the boundaries of innovation. The supercapacitor technology, along with exceptional design, results in one of the lightest electric airbag backpacks on the market to date! To learn more, go to scottsports.com.
This episode is also brought to you by Tamarack Resort:
Nestled in the west-central mountains of Idaho, Tamarack boasts 1,100-acres of terrain, 2,800-vertical-feet, and an independent spirit and community vibe unmatched in the west.
You might come to Tamarack Resort for the views that unfold across the valley or the unspoiled terrain and vast open bowls. Maybe you’ll come to uncover a place that’s a little different, that’s down to Earth and at home on the path less traveled. But we know you’ll come back because there’s a community of people at Tamarack who make you feel like you’re in the right place, at the right time.
Tamarack Resort is the place for you for the free-spirits who hear the call of the undiscovered and believe the future truly is boundless. And we can’t wait to welcome you with arms wide open. Find it. Together. At TamarackIdaho.com
If you enjoyed this podcast, please share with friends & family, and please subscribe.
Buy SnowBrains gear: SnowBrains.com/shop/
The SnowBrains Podcast Episode #28 – Tommy Moe – Olympic Gold Medal Ski Racer, Alaska Heli-Ski Guide, Co-Founder of Tordrillo Mountain Lodge in Alaska
Recorded on November 22, 2021, in Park City, UT (Miles Clark) and Jackson Hole, WY (Tommy Moe).
This episode was edited by Jared White.
Music by Chad Crouch.
Host, producer, and creator = Miles Clark.
About The SnowBrains Podcast:
- Top 17% of all podcasts
- Interviews the most intelligent people in the snowsports industry and passes their fascinating knowledge to you, our listeners.
- We explore skiing, snowboarding, snowsports, avalanches, technology, climate, COVID, snow science, medicine, nutrition, fitness, technique, and cutting-edge adventure with our listeners.
- The SnowBrains Podcast is hosted by professional freeskier, professional mountain guide, UC Berkeley Molecular Cell Biology graduate, and the Founder & CEO of SnowBrains, Miles Clark.
- The SnowBrains Podcast will be publishing new episodes with riveting guests every week this winter.
- Please share with your friends and family, and please subscribe.
Download & Subscribe to “The SnowBrains Podcast”:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Podcast Addict
- Pocket Casts
- I Heart Radio
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 1 Episodes:
- Episode #1: Why Is The Colorado Backcountry the Deadliest in the USA?
- Episode #2: Are Ski Resorts Safe To Visit During COVID-19?
- Episode #3: Why Do Skiers Tear Their ACLs So Frequently?
- Episode #4: What’s The #1 Tool Available To Skiers & Riders in Avalanche Terrain?
- Episode #5: Renaming Squaw Valley, CA & Squaw Alpine’s 2020/21 COVID Strategy
- Episode #6: Alta Ski Area – Skiing First, COVID, Canyon Traffic, & Possible Mt. Baldy Tram
- Episode #7: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 1]
- Episode #8: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 2]
- Episode #9: Whistler Blackcomb – Climate Change, The Future of Summer Skiing, COVID
- Episode #10: Chris Davenport – Legendary Freeskier, Ski Mountaineer, Mountain Guide
- Episode #11: Cody Townsend – Star & Producer of The Fifty Project
- Episode #12: Randall Osterhuber – Winter Survival Instructor, Search & Rescue Badass, Snow Scientist, Avalanche Forecaster, Mountain Guide
- Episode #13: Adrian Ballinger – Climbing Mt. Everest & K2 Without Supplemental Oxygen
- Episode #14: Bode Miller – The Winningest American Male Ski Racer of All-Time
- Episode #15: Dr. Ethan Greene – Why Did The USA Just Have Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle in History?
- Episode #16: 27 Avalanche Deaths in Only 29-Days in the USA… Why Did the US Just See Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle of All-Time?
- Episode #17: Dr. Michael Fischman: COVID Vaccine – When Will Ski Resorts Go Back To Normal?
- Episode #18: Jeremy Jones – Legendary Big Mountain Snowboarder, Climate Change Activist, CEO/Founder of Jones Snowboards
- Episode #19: Angela Hawse – President of the American Mountain Guide Association
- Episode #20: Daron Rahlves – 4 Time Olympian, King of Kitzbühel, and World Jet Ski Champion
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 2 Episodes:
- Episode #21 | Doug Stoup – More North & South Poles Than Anyone on Earth, Pro Soccer Player, Mountain Guide, Founder Ice Axe Expeditions
- Episode #22 | Bjarne Salen – Filmer of “The Fifty” w/ Cody Townsend, Hardcore Ski Mountaineer, Adventurer, Philosopher
- Episode #23 | Todd Offenbacher – Comedian, Mountain Guide, Body Builder, Badass Rock Climber, TV Personality, Climbing Community Builder
- Episode #24 | Scott Gaffney – Matchstick Productions Editor, Producer, Filmer, the G in Shane McConkey’s G.N.A.R., Lake Tahoe Surfer, & Badass Freeskier
- Episode #25 | Ingrid Backstrom – Legendary Freeskier, Fierce Competitor, Game-Changer, Ski Movie Star
- Episode #26 | Dr. Ethan Greene, Director of CAIC – Why Did the USA Have the Most Avalanche Deaths in History Last Season?
- Episode #27 | Travis Ganong – Badass World Cup & Olympic Ski Racer, World-Class Freeskier