Brought to you by HAKUBAVALLEY, Japan & Scott Sports
“It’s our goal to increase awareness about how great it is to ski at these smaller resorts. You don’t need a big resort to have a great day, and you don’t need to spend 200 bucks a day for a lift ticket.” – Doug Fish
My guest today is Doug Fish.
- Doug is the genius who came up with the idea for the Indy Pass
- Doug is the CEO and founder of the Indy Pass
- The Indy Pass is the fastest-growing multi-mountain pass on Earth
- The 1st season of the Indy Pass was 2019/20, and they had 45 ski area members that 1st year
- This year is their 3rd season, and they now have over 80 ski area partners mainly in North America with 28 US states represented, two Canadian provinces, and even four ski areas in Japan
- The Indy Pass only costs $300, and you get to ski two days at each resort
- The Indy Pass saw 9,000 skier visits the first year
- The Indy Pass saw 96,000 skier visits the second year
- This year they’re forecasting 300,000 and 400,000 skier visits
- We’re talking about the pass growing 3,000 to 4,000% in only three seasons, and who knows where it’ll go from there…
“Our goal is to have at least one resort within a day’s drive of every skier in North America. And I think we can get there.” – Doug Fish
This episode is brought to you by Hakuba Valley Japan
Just under three hours from downtown Tokyo, at the base of the Northern Japan Alps, sits HAKUBAVALLEY, Japan’s largest snow resort. Expect abundant snowfall averaging 32 feet per season, 131 trails, and 96 lifts across the Valley’s nine resorts. From gentle groomers to extreme mountain terrain, HAKUBAVALLEY has something for everyone. Visit hakubavalley.com to learn more.
Discover Japan’s largest snow resort with the HAKUBAVALLEY Day Pass. Get access to nine resorts and the Valley shuttle for under $60 (USD) a day. Or show your Epic or Epic Australia Pass to claim five complimentary and consecutive days to HAKUBAVALLEY with no blackout dates. Explore untracked powder and world-class terrain at HAKUBAVALLEY, Japan.
With nine resorts and 131 trails, HAKUBAVALLEY has something for everyone! Discover deep powder, big mountain terrain, and snow activities for the whole family at Japan’s largest snow resort. Visit hakubavalley.com to learn more.
This episode is brought to you by Scott Sports:
Technology, innovation, and design is the name of the game, and that’s exactly what SCOTT Sports is; It’s in their DNA. Skiing is about testing yourself – seeing the possibilities that you are presented with and pushing yourself to seize the greatest challenges. SCOTT Sports has the gear to help you do just that. To learn more, check out scottsports.com and see what real innovation looks like.
Skip the lift lines this year and get in the backcountry! With all the new SCOTT winter essentials, you’re set to have a safe and fun time in the mountains. Check out their new product line at scottsports.com.
Looking to test the boundaries but fearful of high-risk situations? SCOTT Sports knows the danger, that’s why they’ve developed the Patrol E1 Avalanche Backpack. It’s the ultimate freeskiing avalanche backpack, pushing the boundaries of innovation. The supercapacitor technology, along with exceptional design, results in one of the lightest electric airbag backpacks on the market to date! To learn more, go to scottsports.com.
If you enjoyed this podcast, please share with friends & family, and please subscribe.
Buy SnowBrains gear: SnowBrains.com/shop/
The SnowBrains Podcast Episode #29 – Doug Fish – The Genius Who Created The Indy Pass, The Fastest Growing Multi-Mountain Pass on Earth with Over 80 Ski Resorts
Recorded on November 23, 2021, in the Park City, UT (Miles Clark) and Portland, OR (Doug Fish).
This episode was edited by Jared White
Music by Chad Crouch.
Host, producer, and creator = Miles Clark.
About The SnowBrains Podcast:
- Top 17% of all podcasts
- Interviews the most intelligent people in the snowsports industry and passes their fascinating knowledge to you, our listeners.
- We explore skiing, snowboarding, snowsports, avalanches, technology, climate, COVID, snow science, medicine, nutrition, fitness, technique, and cutting-edge adventure with our listeners.
- The SnowBrains Podcast is hosted by professional freeskier, professional mountain guide, UC Berkeley Molecular Cell Biology graduate, and the Founder & CEO of SnowBrains, Miles Clark.
- The SnowBrains Podcast will be publishing new episodes with riveting guests every week this winter.
- Please share with your friends and family, and please subscribe.
Download & Subscribe to “The SnowBrains Podcast”:
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Podcast Addict
- Pocket Casts
- I Heart Radio
- Sounder. FM
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 1 Episodes:
- Episode #1: Why Is The Colorado Backcountry the Deadliest in the USA?
- Episode #2: Are Ski Resorts Safe To Visit During COVID-19?
- Episode #3: Why Do Skiers Tear Their ACLs So Frequently?
- Episode #4: What’s The #1 Tool Available To Skiers & Riders in Avalanche Terrain?
- Episode #5: Renaming Squaw Valley, CA & Squaw Alpine’s 2020/21 COVID Strategy
- Episode #6: Alta Ski Area – Skiing First, COVID, Canyon Traffic, & Possible Mt. Baldy Tram
- Episode #7: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 1]
- Episode #8: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 2]
- Episode #9: Whistler Blackcomb – Climate Change, The Future of Summer Skiing, COVID
- Episode #10: Chris Davenport – Legendary Freeskier, Ski Mountaineer, Mountain Guide
- Episode #11: Cody Townsend – Star & Producer of The Fifty Project
- Episode #12: Randall Osterhuber – Winter Survival Instructor, Search & Rescue Badass, Snow Scientist, Avalanche Forecaster, Mountain Guide
- Episode #13: Adrian Ballinger – Climbing Mt. Everest & K2 Without Supplemental Oxygen
- Episode #14: Bode Miller – The Winningest American Male Ski Racer of All-Time
- Episode #15: Dr. Ethan Greene – Why Did The USA Just Have Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle in History?
- Episode #16: 27 Avalanche Deaths in Only 29-Days in the USA… Why Did the US Just See Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle of All-Time?
- Episode #17: Dr. Michael Fischman: COVID Vaccine – When Will Ski Resorts Go Back To Normal?
- Episode #18: Jeremy Jones – Legendary Big Mountain Snowboarder, Climate Change Activist, CEO/Founder of Jones Snowboards
- Episode #19: Angela Hawse – President of the American Mountain Guide Association
- Episode #20: Daron Rahlves – 4 Time Olympian, King of Kitzbühel, and World Jet Ski Champion
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 2 Episodes:
- Episode #21 | Doug Stoup – More North & South Poles Than Anyone on Earth, Pro Soccer Player, Mountain Guide, Founder Ice Axe Expeditions
- Episode #22 | Bjarne Salen – Filmer of “The Fifty” w/ Cody Townsend, Hardcore Ski Mountaineer, Adventurer, Philosopher
- Episode #23 | Todd Offenbacher – Comedian, Mountain Guide, Body Builder, Badass Rock Climber, TV Personality, Climbing Community Builder
- Episode #24 | Scott Gaffney – Matchstick Productions Editor, Producer, Filmer, the G in Shane McConkey’s GNAR, Lake Tahoe Surfer, & Badass Freeskier
- Episode #25 | Ingrid Backstrom – Legendary Freeskier, Fierce Competitor, Game-Changer, Ski Movie Star
- Episode #26 | Dr. Ethan Greene, Director of CAIC – Why Did the USA Have the Most Avalanche Deaths in History Last Season?
- Episode #27 | Travis Ganong – Badass World Cup & Olympic Ski Racer, World-Class Freeskier
- Episode #28 | Tommy Moe – Olympic Gold Medal Ski Racer, Alaska Heli-Ski Guide, Co-Founder of Tordrillo Mountain Lodge in Alaska