Report from December 29, 2021
Lake Tahoe just saw over 200″ of snow in the month of December.
There is currently 10-16+ feet of snowpack right now and this place was literally dirt as recently as December 9, 2021.
* Snowpack depths above 7000′ are in the 10 to 16 + foot range! – Sierra Avalanche Center, 12/30/21
Given all this new snow, we decided to take our skis for a walk in the Tahoe backcountry yesterday.
It was deep.
After the first run and how deep it was all I could think was:
“That was a religious experience.”
I got to the bottom and knew I should go home, but it was so deep and such a unique experience, I had to go back for one more.
The 2nd run was as deep as the first but a bit lower angle and at times, I just had to go straight to keep from augering in.
Pillow popping was especially fun, but it was so deep on the pillows that when you hit them, they’d explode and shoot snow in your face and you’d just plop off the other side.
Yesterday was a wild on in Lake Tahoe.
- 12/28/21: Palisades Tahoe, CA Report: 103″ of Snow in 7-Days…
- 12/23/21: Palisades Tahoe, CA Report: Rain to Snow, Creamy Powder, 58″-88″ of Snow Forecast Next 3-Days
- 12/6/21: Revelstoke, BC Report: 60″ snowpack, 174″ of Snowfall Already This Season…
- 12/5/21: Kicking Horse, BC Report: 4,000-Vertical-Feet of Awesome
- 11/12/21: Alta, UT Report: Little Chute with Mandatory Air From the Top
- 11/10/21: Alta, UT Report: 11-Inch Powder Day & Blue Skies!
- 11/9/21: Alta, UT Report: Dark, Ominous, Alone – Main Chute in Powder Snow
- 11/8/21: Alta, UT Report: Booting Up & Skiing Down High Rustler in Scratchy Conditions…
- 11/7/21: The Alta Skiing Journal, Vol. 4: “Soft Snow Stashes in the Castle Apron”
- 11/6/21: Mt. Superior, UT Report: “Suicide Chute” – As Much Rock As Snow Yesterday
- 11/5/21: Alta, UT Report: Tight & Spicy in Little Chute…
- 11/4/21: Alta, UT Report: It’s Amazing How Much Snow Is Up Here Right Now… Gunsight Mini-Pow!
- 11/3/21: Alta, UT Report: Main Chute Top To Bottom on a Gorgeous Day
- 11/2/21: Alta, UT Report: Embarrassed & Humbled on Day #1 in Main Chute Yesterday
- 11/1/21: The Alta Skiing Journal, Vol. 3: “Trick or Treating in the Ballroom”