Brought to you by Vail Mountain
My guest today is Henri Rivers. Henri is the President of the National Brotherhood of Skiers, a native New Yorker, and an avid skier and outdoor enthusiast of over 45 years. He is a professional ski instructor, certified master teacher and children’s specialist, a U.S. Ski & Snowboard Alpine coach, jury advisor, referee, and official. He coaches in the Alpine race program at Windham Mountain in the Catskill region of New York.
Henri became involved with the National Brotherhood of Skiers in 1996 and has held many positions within the organization. He started as a club president and moved on to become the mid-west regional competition director. In 2003 he became a coach for the national team of NBS and, in 2008, was appointed the Olympic Scholarship Fund Administrator. During his tenure as OSF administrator, he grew the national team to 15 athletes. In 2016 he was appointed the National Competition Director, and in 2018 was voted in as the Executive Vice President of the National Brotherhood of Skiers. He served for two years and was elected National President of the NBS in March 2020.
This episode is brought to you by Vail Mountain
Vail is celebrating its sixtieth anniversary this season.
That’s sixty years of powder days, back bowl skiing, ice bars, and new experiences.
No matter how many times you’ve skied these slopes, this season is all about celebrating then, now, and forever.
And as a part of the celebrations, Vail will be hosting the National Brotherhood of Skiers for their annual summit in February.
So, go ahead … plan your next visit to Vail. And help them celebrate what’s shaping up to be a legendary season.
If you enjoyed this podcast, please share it with friends & family, and please subscribe.
Follow SnowBrains: SnowBrains.com
Buy SnowBrains gear:SnowBrains.com/shop/
SnowBrains Podcast Episode 46: Henri Rivers – President of the National Brotherhood of Skiers
Recorded on July 27, 2022, in Park City, UT (Miles Clark) and New York (Henri Rivers).
This episode was edited by Jared White.
Music by Chad Crouch.
Host, producer, and creator = Miles Clark.
About The SnowBrains Podcast:
- Top 12% of all podcasts
- Interviews the most intelligent people in the snowsports industry and passes their fascinating knowledge to you, our listeners.
- We explore skiing, snowboarding, snowsports, avalanches, technology, climate, COVID, snow science, medicine, nutrition, fitness, technique, and cutting-edge adventure with our listeners.
- The SnowBrains Podcast is hosted by professional freeskier, professional mountain guide, UC Berkeley Molecular Cell Biology graduate, and the Founder & CEO of SnowBrains, Miles Clark.
- The SnowBrains Podcast will be publishing new episodes with riveting guests every week this winter.
- Please share with your friends and family, and please subscribe.
Download & Subscribe to “The SnowBrains Podcast:”
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Podcast Addict
- Pocket Casts
- iHeart Radio
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 1 Episodes:
- Episode #1: Why Is The Colorado Backcountry the Deadliest in the USA?
- Episode #2: Are Ski Resorts Safe To Visit During COVID-19?
- Episode #3: Why Do Skiers Tear Their ACLs So Frequently?
- Episode #4: What’s The #1 Tool Available To Skiers & Riders in Avalanche Terrain?
- Episode #5: Renaming Squaw Valley, CA & Squaw Alpine’s 2020/21 COVID Strategy
- Episode #6: Alta Ski Area – Skiing First, COVID, Canyon Traffic, & Possible Mt. Baldy Tram
- Episode #7: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 1]
- Episode #8: Andrew McLean, The Big Mountain Scientist [Part 2]
- Episode #9: Whistler Blackcomb – Climate Change, The Future of Summer Skiing, COVID
- Episode #10: Chris Davenport – Legendary Freeskier, Ski Mountaineer, Mountain Guide
- Episode #11: Cody Townsend – Star & Producer of The Fifty Project
- Episode #12: Randall Osterhuber – Winter Survival Instructor, Search & Rescue Badass, Snow Scientist, Avalanche Forecaster, Mountain Guide
- Episode #13: Adrian Ballinger – Climbing Mt. Everest & K2 Without Supplemental Oxygen
- Episode #14: Bode Miller – The Winningest American Male Ski Racer of All-Time
- Episode #15: Dr. Ethan Greene – Why Did The USA Just Have Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle in History?
- Episode #16: 27 Avalanche Deaths in Only 29-Days in the USA… Why Did the US Just See Its Deadliest Avalanche Cycle of All-Time?
- Episode #17: Dr. Michael Fischman: COVID Vaccine – When Will Ski Resorts Go Back To Normal?
- Episode #18: Jeremy Jones – Legendary Big Mountain Snowboarder, Climate Change Activist, CEO/Founder of Jones Snowboards
- Episode #19: Angela Hawse – President of the American Mountain Guide Association
- Episode #20: Daron Rahlves – 4 Time Olympian, King of Kitzbühel, and World Jet Ski Champion
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 2 Episodes:
- Episode #21 | Doug Stoup – More North & South Poles Than Anyone on Earth, Pro Soccer Player, Mountain Guide, Founder Ice Axe Expeditions
- Episode #22 | Bjarne Salen – Filmer of “The Fifty” w/ Cody Townsend, Hardcore Ski Mountaineer, Adventurer, Philosopher
- Episode #23 | Todd Offenbacher – Comedian, Mountain Guide, Body Builder, Badass Rock Climber, TV Personality, Climbing Community Builder
- Episode #24 | Scott Gaffney – Matchstick Productions Editor, Producer, Filmer, the G in Shane McConkey’s GNAR, Lake Tahoe Surfer, & Badass Freeskier
- Episode #25 | Ingrid Backstrom – Legendary Freeskier, Fierce Competitor, Game-Changer, Ski Movie Star
- Episode #26 | Dr. Ethan Greene, Director of CAIC – Why Did the USA Have the Most Avalanche Deaths in History Last Season?
- Episode #27 | Travis Ganong – Badass World Cup & Olympic Ski Racer, World-Class Freeskier
- Episode #28 | Tommy Moe – Olympic Gold Medal Ski Racer, Alaska Heli-Ski Guide, Co-Founder of Tordrillo Mountain Lodge in Alaska
- Episode #29 | Doug Fish – The Genius Who Created the Indy Pass, the Fastest Growing Multi-Mountain Pass on Earth With Over 80 Ski Resorts
- Episode #30 | Tom Day – Emmy Winning Cinematographer, 38 Years as Warren Miller Director/Filmer/Skier, “Blizzard of Aahhhs” Ski Movie Star, Smoothest Skier on Earth
- Episode #31 | Dr. Russ Costa PhD – Why People Do Dumb Shit in the Mountains!!
- Episode #32 | Eddie Taylor – Member of “Full Circle Everest” 1st All-Black Team to Attempt 29,032′ Mt. Everest
- Episode #33 | Park City Professional Ski Patrol – Battling Vail Resorts For a Living Wage
- Episode #34 | Julian Carr – 210-Foot World Record Cliff Invert, Pro Freeskier, Discrete Founder, X-Games Gold Medalist, Cirque Series Founder
- Episode #35 | Lel Tone – Alaska Heli-Ski Guide for 23-Years, Winner of National Geographic’s “Ultimate Survival Alaska,” Ski Patroller for 28-Years, Avalanche Professional
- Episode #36 | Scot Schmidt – The Original Freeskier
- Episode #37: Elyse Saugstad – Ski Movie Star, Freeride World Tour Champion, Skier of the Year, 3x Best Line of the Year, In ESPN’s Top 50 Women in Action Sports
- Episode #38 | H.A.P.E. & The Ghost of La Anciana – Mexican Ghost Stories From 18,000 Feet
- Episode #39 | Jonny Moseley – Olympic Gold Medalist, Skiing Pioneer, Voice of Warren Miller, TV Personality
- Episode #40 | Connery Lundin – Naked on Cover of Powder Magazine, Freeskiing World Tour Champ, MSP & Warren Miller Ski Movie Star
The SnowBrains Podcast Season 3 Episodes:
- SnowBrains Podcast #41 | Kit DesLauriers – 1st Person to Ski All of the “Seven Summits,” National Geographic Adventurer of the Year, 2-Time Freeskiing Champion
- SnowBrains Podcast #42 | Utah Avalanche Center – Should We Use Avalanche Airbag Backpacks?, How To Stay Out of Avalanches, Updated “Know Before You Go”
- SnowBrains Podcast #43 | Spot Insurance – US Health Insurance Sucks, Medical Bills Are The #1 Cause of Bankruptcy in America, Spot Can Help
- SnowBrains Podcast #44 | Zahan Billimoria – IFMGA Mountain Guide, TGR Ski & Snowboard Movie Guide, Samsara Experience CEO, Jackson Hole Local
- SnowBrains Podcast #45 | Mike Douglas – The Godfather of Freeskiing