Brought to you by 10 Barrel Brewing
Report from February 19, 2021
We spent a lot of time walking and a very little time skiing in the Tetons yesterday.
We had a specific set of goals and we went right at ’em.
I was honored to get to ski one of my dream lines in good snow:
- A chute you have to drop a medium-sized air to get into
- You land in a tight zone with rock walls on both sides
- Then you come blasting through the chute doing all you can not to hit the walls
The snow above the air into the chute was crusty and hooky and weird.
The snow in the chute and in the apron was excellent.
We walked back up and I went for another dream chute that I’d never skied before:
- A handful of turns before dropping into a water-slide sized tube
- Crux is the speed, acceleration, 2 turns you have to make in the chute, and kicky bump at the end of the chute
It was scary as the hard rock walls are damn close to your soft fleshy being.
My left pole hit the left wall in the tighest part of the chute.
From there we walked up once more and skied a lovely powder run down to the real world.
Yesterday was a special day.
And a kinda bizarre day as I executed a 24-hour fast yesterday.
I felt great most of the day but by the last hike, I was dragging…
Breakfast at 5:30 pm was sumptuous.
We didn’t see any signs of avalanche danger.
We did see the snow metamorphasize into a cooked and refrozen crust on east and south slopes at lower elevations.
2020/21 Backcountry Reports:
- 2/23/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Gorgeous Wind-Rippled Powder Chutes & A Moose Attack
- 2/19/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: One of the Deepest Days of Our Lives…
- 2/17/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Bluebird Powder Skiing in Deep Snow & Sunshine
- 2/15/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Pillow Poppin’ Deepness…
- 2/14/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: 4 Fun Cliff Hucks and 1 Amazing, Wide-Open Run in Perfect Powder
- 2/13/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Faceshots, Backflips, & Really Long Chutes
- 2/12/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: 3 Fast, Crazy Fun Chutes in Great Snow & Face-Shots
- 2/10/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: A Really Rad Chute in Really Rough Snow
- 2/8/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: 2 Awesome Chutes in Good Snow
- 2/5/21 – Terminal Cancer Couloir, NV Report: A Close Avalanche Call + a Lesson in the Wind
- 1/30/21 – Tahoe, CA Backcountry Report: Deep Powder & Steep Lines Above Lake Tahoe
- 1/26/21 – Tahoe, CA Backcountry Report: Deep, Light, Sunny Powder
- 1/23/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Deep, Dense, Hot, & Crusty
- 1/22/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Deep & Boney…
- 1/20/21 – Wasatch Mts, UT Report: Mt. Superior Extreme Skiing? | 4 Runs on Superior in 5-Days
- 1/19/21 – Wasatch Mts, UT Report: Mt. Superior’s Pinball Alley | Denial, Side-Stepping, Snowplow, French Fries
- 1/17/21 – Wasatch Mts, UT Report: Mt. Superior South Face | 2nd Day in a Row
- 1/16/21 – Wasatch Mts, UT Report: Mt. Superior’s South Face in Powder Snow
- 1/14/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Incredible Chute in Punchy, Weird Snow After the Big Rain
- 1/8/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Big Chute Fun, Perfect Snow, Pillows, & Stunning Vistas
- 1/6/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: Pillows, Chutes, & Airs in Sublime Powder
- 1/5/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: High Avy Danger = Minimum Angle + Maximum Wind Lip
- 1/3/21 – Teton Range, WY Report: 12″ New Snow, Pillows, Chutes and Slabs
- New Years Day 2021 –Trip Report: Nez Perce, WY – “The Sliver Couloir”
- 12/29/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: Fun Chute, Big Smiles, & Great Tree Skiing Powder
- 12/28/20 –Teton Range, WY Report: 4,000-Vertical-Feet of Perfect Bluebird Powder
- 12/27/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: High Speed Fun in Immaculate Powder Snow
- Xmas 2020 – Teton Range, WY Report: 3,500′ of Christmas Day Powder Fun 🙂
- 12/23/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: 2 Steep Chutes + My Avalanche Decision-Making Processes
- 12/20/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: Warm, Wet, Windy, Slabby Skiing
- 12/18/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: Great Skiing on Touchy Snow
- 12/12/20 – Beaver Mountain, UT Report: Mini-Powder Day in Paradise
- 12/11/20 – Tetons Range, WY Report: Ugly Skiing in a Gorgeous Chute in Tricky Snow
- 12/10/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: Steep Skiing in a Tight Chute in Tough Snow
- 12/9/20 – Teton Range, WY Report: Schoodeling in Good Powder Up High
- 12/8/20 – Teton Mts, WY Backcountry Report: South-Faces Aren’t Exactly Corn…
- 12/2/20 – Wasatch Mts, UT Backcountry Report: Suicide Chute on Mt. Superior in Low Tide
- 11/28/20 – Teton, WY Backcountry Report: Good Turns + 3cm Surface Hoar…
- 11/25/20 – Teton, WY Backcountry Report: 6″ of New Snow | Not Bad for November…
- 11/13/20 – Alta, UT Report: Friday The 13th Wind-Buff & I Only Hit 6 Rocks
- 11/12/20 – Alta, UT Report: Deep Dry Powder in Main Chute & I Only Hit 12 Rocks